Where do I send general questions?
Questions about the programs that we offer can be sent to email@example.com
How do tryouts work?
AVA Tryouts are usually held immediately after 4th of July.
- Most clubs post their tryout times by age on their websites. It is not uncommon for clubs to have conflicting times for the same age, so you will need to prioritize your tryouts.
- AVA offers a makeup tryout (if needed) BUT attending the scheduled tryout is critical for placement on your desired team.
- Players will receive an offer to join a team at the conclusion of the tryout.
- Players who do not get an offer at the tryout may be put on a waiting list and will receive a call if a position becomes available.
What does AVA offer?
- We offer a variety of team types: National Travel and Texas Travel teams, Local teams, and Developmental teams. National Travel teams compete all over Texas, as well as fly to 1-3 out of state tournaments with three practices per week. Texas Travel teams compete all over Texas with two practices per week. Local and Developmental teams compete in the Houston area only with two practices per week. There is something for every player depending on their age and level of commitment to volleyball!
- We provide safe, disciplined and structured environments in both training and competition for all participants
- We establish positive relationships and respect between AVA, athletes and their families, coaches, administration and the community as a whole;
- We train our athletes at the highest level possible with the primary performance objective of high-level team and personal success.
Parents and Tryouts
- Parents are asked to please not enter the gym while tryouts are in progress. Our goal is to have the players focus on their tryout without distractions.
- There will be a parent meeting at the beginning or during each tryout session. We will have a presentation that covers important information and most of the common questions that may arise.
What age group do I play in?
- The age is determined by the date of birth, not the grade level. A player can play up in age, but not down in age.
How do we find out where and when my daughter will practice or attend tournaments?
- Tentative practice and tournament schedules are released at tryouts.
- Practice and tournament schedules are solidified by the end of September every year. These are subject to change based on how teams form.
- Practice locations are at our facility or Dunbar Middle School, located at 2901 23rd St, Dickinson, TX.
Does AVA offer Developmental Programs for Younger Age Players (Pre-K - 6th)?
- Yes! AVAtors is designed to enhance each young players fundamental skills, team play, and overall volleyball knowledge. We offer AVAtor programs for students 5 years old through 12 years old. We strive to provide a fun environment where each player can reach their potential before moving on to the next great step!
- If signed up for AVAtors, you are guaranteed to make a team. We will have placement tryouts that will allow us to group players based on skill set and age.
Do you offer private lessons and how can I sign my player up?
- Many coaches provide private lessons which can be scheduled with them directly. Coaches who offer private lessons can be found on our Private Lessons Page
What other ways can we support AVA?
- In addition to many volunteer positions we are always in need of help during local tournaments, usually 3-4 between the months of January and April. If you are able to help please send us an email firstname.lastname@example.org
Are there fundraising opportunities?
- AVA of Texas will host a mandatory fundraiser for the upcoming season. The vehicle raffle will be in the Fall. Each player is required to sell one booklet (10 tickets) for the vehicle raffle. Every raffle entry after the third book will allow that player's name to enter a drawing for a free club season the next year and the parent gets their name put into the vehicle raffle. AVA of Texas welcomes team and club participation in any approved fundraising program.
Do you have an inclement weather policy?
Yes! In the event of severe weather, practice cancellation information will be available via our website, social media, and team phone/e-mail trees. Players and families are encouraged to use their best judgment when attempting to travel to practice. The safety of the athlete and their family is our first concern and priority.