Frequently Asked Questions
What is your Mission Statement?
AVA of Texas is committed to providing a competitive junior volleyball program for athletes, ages Pre-K-18. Staff, administration and support personnel within the AVA of Texas program will always strive to make the sport of volleyball and the act of athletic participation a teaching tool to develop personal growth and life skills.
Where do I send General Questions?
Questions about the programs that we offer can be sent to email@example.com
How do Tryouts work?
AVA Tryouts are usually held the week after 4th of July.
- Most clubs post their tryout times by age on their websites. It is not uncommon for clubs to have conflicting times for the same age, so you will need to prioritize your tryouts.
- AVA offers a makeup tryout (if needed) BUT attending the scheduled tryout is critical for placement on your desired team.
- Players often receive an offer to join a team at the conclusion of the ryout.
- Players who do not get an offer at the tryout may be put on a waiting list and will receive a call within a few days.
What does AVA offer?
- We offer a variety of team types: travel and local. Travel teams compete all over Texas, as well as fly to 1-3 out of state tournaments with three practices per week. Local teams compete in the Houston area only with two practices per week. There is something for every player depending on their age and level of commitment to volleyball.
- We provide safe, disciplined and structured environments in both training and competition for all participants
- We establish positive relationships and respect between AVA, athletes and their families, coaches, administration and the community as a whole;
- We train our athletes at the highest level possible with the primary performance objective of high-level team and personal success.
Parents and Tryouts
- Parents are asked to please not enter the gym while tryouts are in progress. Our goal is to have the players focus on their tryout without distractions.
- There will be a parent meeting at the beginning or during each tryout session. We will have a presentation that covers important information and most of the common questions that may arise.
What age group do I play in?
- The age is determined by the date of birth, not the grade level. A player can play up in age, but not down in age.
How do we find out where and when my daughter will practice or attend tournaments?
- Before the season starts the club will send out a “tentative” practice schedule. A tentative tournament schedule will be posted soon after the new season begins. These are subject to change based on how teams form.
- Practice locations are at our facility or Dunbar Middle School 2901 23rd St, Dickinson, TX.
Does AVA offer Developmental Programs for Younger Age Players (Pre-K - 6th)?
- Yes! AVAtors is designed to enhance each young players fundamental skills, team play, and overall volleyball knowledge. We offer programs from 5 years old- 12 years old. We strive to provide a fun environment where each player can reach his or her potential before moving on to the next great step!
- Tryouts for development players are more of an evaluation than a tryout. The evaluation helps to place them on the most appropriate team.
All Development players will be accepted - as long as space is available.
Do you offer private lessons and how can I sign my player up?
- Many coaches provide private lessons which can be scheduled with them directly. Coaches who offer private lessons can be found on our Private Lessons Page
What other ways can we support AVA?
- In addition to many volunteer positions we are always in need of help during local tournaments, usually 3-4 between the months of January and April. If you are able to help please send us an email firstname.lastname@example.org
Are there fundraising opportunities?
- AVA of Texas will host several mandatory fundraisers for the upcoming season. The vehicle raffle will be in the fall and a candle sale in the spring. Each player is required to sell one booklet (10 tickets) for the vehicle raffle. When the player sells a 2nd the 3rd book and on, her name goes in a drawing for a free club season and the parent gets their name put into the truck raffle. AVA of Texas welcomes team and club participation in any approved fundraising program. Once teams are selected, fundraising options will be presented to them by the Fundraising Coordinators.
Inclement Weather Policy
In the event of severe weather, practice cancellation information will be available via our website and team phone/e-mail trees. Players from outlying areas are encouraged to use their best judgment when attempting to travel to practice. The safety of the athlete and their family is our first concern and priority.